Why do I need this? For the camera. You see, I love photography and it was mobile photography that brought me back to this hobby again. I’m not ready to hang around with the camera, it’s personal, don’t try to convince me. This is from a series of mobile games that I also love. By the way, you can see my photos in my instagram.
P40 Pro – awesome camera phone. But not the best, because there is this one. And then understand me: when I used the P30 Pro all last year, which still frustrates all competitors in the photo part, it is very difficult to refuse such a camera. It’s difficult to use cheap over-widths of Samsung and iPhones, it’s impossible to put up with 2x zoom and so on. I'm not saying that you need to suffer and urgently buy this smartphone, no. Next, I will talk about its minuses, exactly how the smartphone. But I am not ready to give up such a big advantage over others.
Why did I decide to buy the P40 Pro Plus? As far back as last year, in the experience of operating the P30 Pro, I talked about the fact that 5x zoom is very often a lot, I want an intermediate 2x or 3x. And this year we got it!
Video about Huawei P40 Pro Plus
What are the differences from the P40 Pro?
I even understand why in most countries the plus version is not even for sale. In Ukraine, it is simply impossible to buy, even a seryok. Because the main difference is the price. I spent more than 1400 euros on this smartphone. I’m even ashamed to talk about it … So that it wouldn’t be so embarrassing because of this – I buy tactics in mobile tanks. Hoh, it’s ok 🙂
And, in fact, smartphones are almost identical and the majority will definitely have the P40 Pro, which costs quite adequately – exactly 1k euro in our country. About the comparison in price with other smartphones, I already spoke in his review.
Of the differences only:
- The case, it is ceramic. It’s just nice to know. Although, it should not be scratched so much.
- The fastest wireless charging on the market is 40 watts.
- Well, the cameras, about them separately.
The cameras here are a real technological work of art. 4 main and one front-end. Well, two unnecessary, one at the back and front.
I talked about cameras in detail and showed examples in the video above. From myself I can say that the P40 Pro Plus is an ultimate camera phone. I lacked the intermediate value of the zoom and now I have it. Now there are not many trips, but we have already developed a tradition with the family every week to organize a sortie somewhere with the aim of taking a walk and taking a picture, and this week I was directly inspired by what the P40 Pro Plus allows me to do. Photos are slightly processed by color.
- Main module: 50 MP, f / 1.9, 23mm, 1 / 1.28 ″, 2.44μm, PDAF, OIS
- 10x telephoto module: 8 MP, f / 4.4, 240mm, PDAF, OIS
- 3x telephoto module: 8 MP, f / 2.4, 80mm, PDAF, OIS
- Oversize: 40 MP, f / 1.8, 18mm, 1 / 1.54 ″, PDAF
- Front: 32MP, f / 2.2, 26mm, 1 / 2.8 ″, 0.8µm, AF
And so, now to not the most pleasant. In addition to what I don’t want to talk about, it is better that everything is as before, but one red-headed misunderstanding decided that for now it will be so.
Problems you will encounter
- The very first thing you need to do on a Huawei smartphone in 2020 is to install a third-party market, for example, APK Pure. He, like, is the most famous, but there are others. Some applications are also in the App Gallery, but not all of them are updated. For example, the current version of Telegram for Android is 6.2, while the old version is located in AG – 5.14. Although the same tanks received an update.
- If watching YouTube is not a lot of problems, then using the capabilities of Youtube Premium from the browser will not work out completely. There is no advertisement, but you can’t listen to the video in the background. But if desired, the YouTube client can be replaced with a third-party, this problem can be solved.
- But with a YouTube studio it’s generally sad, because there are no third-party clients, as well as a mobile web version in YouTube itself. I hope the latter will appear, this will largely solve the problem. A separate native application is still better, but now you have to use the desktop version. That is, it’s possible, but it’s very inconvenient.
- Taxi, food and similar services do not work. I know that soon some will work, but so far, ordering can only be done through a browser. In the same Uber and Glovo, the map simply does not appear, the service does not work without Google services.
- So far, contactless payment using a smartphone does not work, although this feature will appear in the near future.
- In some games, you will not be able to use in-game purchases.
- My contacts were pulled up, either from a Huawei account, or from a telegram, but you can’t call them, because although there is a number inside, it’s in the telegram field and the dialer itself does not recognize that it can be called just like that. Moreover, the contacts have deteriorated as read-only and cannot be edited …
- Backups in the cloud. Of course, Google Photos is not here, so you have to use a third-party option. Of these, I immediately note the following: standard Cloud from Huawei, OneDrive from Microsoft, Dropbox. And they work, but there is a small moment. Each of them has a certain amount of free space provided, but the additional purchase from a smartphone does not work. This must be done from a computer. It seems to be a trifle and you need to do it once, but still … However, most of all I did not like the way Huawei, understanding the whole situation, organized work with their cloud. Firstly, only 5 GB is available for free, which, in the absence of properly working alternatives, is not enough. Secondly, it’s impossible to expand even for money, while the menu is generally empty. It can be seen that they are doing everything at once and in a rather strong hurry. I can understand this, given the current situation, but the user will encounter a number of problems.
- Well, a small minus – it is impossible to log in to the Ajax application to manage home security.
What is no problem
But you also need to reveal the other side. You watch some videos and it’s completely incomprehensible: is everything really bad, or can you live? So, now I’ll tell you about everything that does not raise questions.
- Post office. Believe me, not Gmail’s one. I have been using Spark on all platforms for a long time and I like it more. Not perfect, on iOS there are bugs, but for Android it’s right very ok. But on iOS, there is simply nothing better 🙂 If you do not want Spark, the standard on Huawei is also very good.
- Cards. From my own experience I can say that the best service is Waze. It updates the traffic situation as quickly as possible, with Waze you can plan your travel time. There are others like Maps me, 2Gis, Here Maps … Even Google Maps can be used easily, just without the ability to log in.
- Such social programs as Instagram, Telegram (for me it is more a social), Facebook work without problems. Like messengers.
- You can listen to podcasts through Castbox and other third-party clients, which, by the way, are often more convenient than the official one.
- Streaming services like Apple Music and Netflix work without problems.
You can continue, but the main thing to remember about the main disadvantages, I described them to you above. With the rest, in principle, there are no problems.
Cons of hardware
Ironically, the smartphone also has minuses, exactly the same as the P40 Pro: a large cutout in the screen, which in no way affected the security lock; memory cards of the NM format (although in the same OnePlus there are none at all, and the memory itself is smaller); one stereo speaker, which is really wild for me. However, if not for the latter – I would call this smartphone the purest iron of the coolest among androids. And so, there are things that are inferior.
As you can see, not everything is smooth, but you can use it. That is, we are not thrown back right into the Stone Age, but soon other essential services will appear that are not working right now. But in the near future, we are unlikely to see Google services in Huawei smartphones, because idiots sometimes rule superpowers …